I turned the big 3-0 last week. A lot of people approach this milestone birthday with dread or with a sense that time is running out. Me? I actually couldn’t be more excited to turn 30. I’m beginning this new decade with the feeling that I’m on the right path. That things are sorting themselves out. I feel fulfilled and happy when I wake up in the morning and I love that Mondays are now my favourite day of the week. But whilst some days I feel as though I’ve got it all figured out, there are just as many days where I feel like I don’t actually know a thing! The reality is that we’re all just making it up as we go along and trying to do the best we can. In celebration of turning 30 years
old young, I thought I’d share with you 30 lessons I’ve learnt in my 30 years that have made all the difference to me so far:
1. You are exactly where you need to be right now. You are learning an important lesson that you need for later.
2. Being good at something you hate is worse than being bad at something you love.
3. Don’t be afraid of change. Our biggest growth happens on the edge of our comfort zone.
4. Your life should excite you. If it doesn’t, change something.
5. It’s never too late to start something new.
6. Do everything in your life with passion.
7. Spend more time with the ones you love.
8. Begin each day with gratitude.
9. There is a lesson in everything.
10. The universe conspires to give you what you desire, if you only listen.
11. People are capable of doing what they dream of at any time in their lives.
12. Smile as much as you can and to everybody you encounter.
13. Listen to your gut. It knows.
14. Things do not make you happy.
15. Surround yourself with those that inspire, support and encourage you. Distance yourself from those that do not.
16. Life is too short for bad food, bad wine, bad chocolate or bad company.
17. Success is not about money, possessions or prestige.
18. Worrying doesn’t take away tomorrow’s problems, but takes away today’s peace.
19. You shouldn’t dread Mondays. There is something wrong if you do.
20. Instead of focusing on the negatives, focus on the positives. It will transform your life.
21. Don’t waste time trying to impress people you don’t like.
22. Keeping up with the Joneses is a load of crap.
23. Wine and cheese is never a bad idea.
24. It could always be worse.
25. Ask more questions.
26. Don’t take yourself so seriously.
27. Society’s expectations don’t matter one bit.
28. If you want something bad enough and are willing to work hard enough, it will happen.
29. Be in the moment. Open your eyes, your ears and your nose. Take it all in.
30. Just start. That’s the hardest bit.